Re: profile.d [was Re: UMASK 002 or 022?]

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 01:16:37AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> how many times have you come up to a redhat system for which the
> environment is totally screwed up and you cannot make head or tail of
> how the hell it gets that way, i have on every redhat system i have
> the misfortune of having to deal with.  i would much rather just edit
> the damn things separatly then deal with more redhat convoluted
> `helpfullness'

umm.. i see what you mean.. i was a bit confused when i tried to configure
RH with the same way i configure my Debian.

> i am of the opinion that stuff like alaises and other fancy
> non-standardisms should not go into the global profiles at all, they
> belong in ~/.fooshellrc and ~/.fooshell_profile.  you want that stuff
> by default put it in /etc/skel/*

the reason i keep them in /etc/profile, is that when i need to add an
alias, environment setting or anything.. i can change the whole system
at once.. no need to 'find /home -name .profile' and edit by hand.

> some people afterall find colorized ls evil (namely all the BSD
> people).

Bad example. (by me)

> > yes.. it is just a few config files, would you prefer to edit modules.conf
> > or the modutils files, the files in /etc/modutils give you clear view
> > where we are, and what is happening.. for me there are files for alsa,
> > <Snip>
> you are mixing to very different things:
>
> hardware settings and user settings

modutils was here as an example, of the method which i was talking
about. not about the similarities in use.

> useful to me i won't get it automatically as i will with the
> following:
>
> PATH=${PATH}:$HOME/bin
>
> granted if PATH is set bogus in /etc/profile im screwed anyway, but
> s/PATH/whateveruserpref/ and you get my point.
>
> as far as dealing with changing a variable like say PATH in one file
> why not juse use pam_env or /etc/environment?  won't work for aliases
> but like i said aliases don't belong in the system wide config files.

why not use /etc/environment for the envirnment then? why to use
/etc/profile at all? /etc/profile is for setting system wide settings
if i host many beginners on my machine i do like to set the alias for
ls globally. also if i need to override some command with local command
i could use alias.

as i see it, some aliases, and commands are supposed to be in the system
wide settings.

regards, Sami Haahtinen