Re: profile.d [was Re: UMASK 002 or 022?]

erbenson@alaska.net (Ethan Benson) writes:

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 02:54:42PM +0100, Graeme Mathieson wrote:
> >
> > ... The package itself should have created the requisite small file.
> > In my case, certain packages are only installed on certain machines,
> > so their profile.d scripts are only pushed to those machines.
>
> that may indeed be useful in some rare cases, but i don't think the
> benifit is worth the cost, see above.  it creates a frigging mess,
> perhaps for adding a NEW independant variable it could work ok, but
> for patching existing standard variables such as PATH you get a mess.

According to Debian policy, no parts of a package should require any
environment variables to work correctly.  Environment variables may be
used to *customize* the way applications in a package work, but it is
not the job of the package to add these environment variables to
/etc/profile.  That is the job of the administrator.

- Brian