Re: profile.d [was Re: UMASK 002 or 022?]

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 01:16:37 -0800, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>
wrote:
>that is about it.  everything else is user preference and does not
>belong in system wide uneditable (by user) files.  it belongs in
>/etc/skel/* which are copied to the users $HOME when they are
>created.  at that point the user may change things as they please, and
>more importantly they can see very clearly where the hell there
>screwed up environment came from and can fix it easily.

That solution is generally preferable IMO, but it performs poorly when
packages are installed later then user accounts created.

What we'd need is infrastructure to inspect /etc/skel periodically and
offer users with already existent accounts to copy new files from
/etc/skel over to the home directory if the file doesn't yet exist in
the home dir. Or maybe even regarding these files as user-specific
config files and handling them like dpkg does it with system-wide
config files.

But there are probably numerous issues that need to be regarded before
something like this could be implemented.

Greetings
Marc