Date: 15 Jun 2000 16:53:00 +0200
From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@bost.de>
To: TDS Development Group <freetds@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Status of the JDBC driver

Ant itself is pure Java and there are nightly snapshots which should
make Andreas' work a little bit easier.

Ant itself is under the Apache License so it should be compatible with
Debian - or don't you ship Apache itself with the distribution?

But then Ant will need a JAXP compliant parser
<http://java.sun.com/xml>. I'm not sure about the license of the JAXP
reference implementation - I think you are free to distribute jaxp.jar
and parser.jar but I'm not sure. The other option is Xerxes
<http://xml.apache.org> which again ships under the Apache license.

To anybody who wants to install Ant I'd urge you not to take whatever
is called a release, use the latest snapshot. There have been some
important patches lately and a whole bunch of additional patches is
waiting to be commited.

Let's just wait a few days, there seems to be heavy activity right now
(and Apache voting rules look silly to the uninitiated so expect lots
of mails containing nothing but a +1 in the body if you happen to
follow the mailing list).

Stefan