Re: Q about Build-Depends vs Build-Depends-Indep

[Should this be off-list?]

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:36:36PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I'll use your interpretation, but there's no way I could have
> > decoded that meaning from the packaging manual.
>
> Uh, how so?

The packaging manual (section 8.7) says:

 Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
    The Build-Depends and Build-Conflicts fields apply to the
    targets build, binary, binary-arch and binary-indep.

I took this to mean that `Build-Depends' are the requirements for
all of targets build, binary, binary-arch and binary-indep
inclusively.  If something is needed only in binary-arch or in
binary-indep, then it gets added to the `Build-Depends' line.
Since porters call binary-arch, they get this line with all the
cruft needed for binary-indep as well.

 Build-Depends-Indep, Build-Conflicts-Indep
    The Build-Depends-Indep and Build-Conflicts-Indep fields
    apply to the targets binary and binary-indep.

I took this to mean that `Build-Depends-Indep' are the
requirements for targets binary and binary-indep to work.
Since `binary' usually calls both binary-arch and binary-indep,
I'm not sure what this means really.

I'll take people's word for it, but I still can't decipher it the
same way you all can. Perhaps it's just me.

Peter