Re: General Resolution: Removing non-freeeral Resolution: Removing non-free

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 02:54:25PM +0100, Gilbert Laycock wrote:
> The Sun Community Source License (SCSL) under which jdk1.2, and (I
> think) the Java 2 specification, are released state that an attempt to
> produce your own implementation of the specification is a "derived
> work" and therefore also covered by the SCSL.

[...]
> Together these seem to prohibit there ever being a DFSG compliant Java
> 2 implementation.

The general opinion is that Sun is full of it - that there's nothing they
do to stop anybody from implementing the Java 2 license under whatever
license they want. I believe Japhar is going to implement it (under the
LGPL), and possibly Classpath is too.

IIRC, there are clauses in the SCSL that people didn't want anywhere near
Debian - that if Debian included a program under the SCSL, it could restrict
Debian's ability to distribute free software that implements Java 2. Or
something like that.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu