Re: Release-critical Bugreport for June 16, 2000

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 04:06:29PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Package: task-x-window-system (debian/main)
> > Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> >   65647  XF86Setup does not run w/SiS6326 video cards!
>
> [this should be reassigned to xserver-vga16]

I reassigned to the first realy package I noticed it mentioned, feel free to
pass it on wherever it's supposed to go.

> Wichert and I have talked about this one but have not reached a resolution.
> The best fix may simply be a note in the Release Notes that SiS 6326 users
> should not attempt to use the VGA16 server.  This bug may be a candidate
> for downgrading.

Last I tried (it was 3.3.4 or .5, can't remember), you couldn't even run X
with SiS 6326 properly, without turning off all accelerations. And even
then, it couldn't render the fixed font in an xterm, it displayed it black
on black. >:(

If you wish, send me a patch for release-notes.sgml. Otherwise, I'll be
tempted to either ignore it or endlessly rant/bitch about it ;)