Re: Why 2 inconsistent package managers frontents?

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 11:49:28PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' is not really ment for use by anything other
> than the dselect method script, it is probably not entirely safe to
> run it.

it's worked perfectly well for me for ages. i always do upgrades with
"apt-get dselect-upgrade"...have never bothered with dist-upgrade (can't
see the point in it myself).

i find it useful to be able to use the '-u' argument to
apt-get, so i can see *exactly* which packages are going to be
installed/upgraded/removed before i type Y and hit enter.

i also use dselect to select packages (but still exit back to bash to
run the 'apt-get -u dselect-upgrade' manually).....'apt-get install' is
great for installing one or two (or half a dozen) packages, but nothing
beats dselect for organising the details of a full system upgrade.

craig

--
craig sanders