Re: Ssh tunneling local cvs to Debian machines

Quoting peter karlsson <peter@softwolves.pp.se>:

> Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net>:
>
> >         export CVS_RSH=ssh
> >         cvs -d :ext:me@my.home.machine/home/mycvsroot login
>
> Well, that was exactly what I was trying to avoid; since I'm on a dialup
> connection, the address will change for each connection, and I'd prefer not
> having to re-write all the CVS files each time I connect.

Then (again! :) read the man page for ssh

     -L port:host:hostport
             Specifies that the given port on the local (client) host is to be
             forwarded to the given host and port on the remote side.  This
             works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side,
             and whenever a connection is made to this port, the connection is
             forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is made to
             host port hostport from the remote machine.  Port forwardings can
             also be specified in the configuration file.  Only root can for­
             ward privileged ports.  IPv6 addresses can be specified with an
             alternative syntax: port/host/hostport

So something like this (from the top of my head here)

   In shell one:
        ssh -L 3030:my.home.machine:22 my.home.machine

   In shell two:
        export CVS_RSH=ssh
        cvs -d :ext:my@localhost:3030/home/mycvsroot login
--
767 Honduras Marxist Khaddafi ammunition kibo Uzi Mossad NSA president
colonel Saddam Hussein killed Delta Force pits