Re: eliminating -source packages

"Decklin Foster" <fosterd@hartwick.edu> writes:

> Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>
> > There are some issues though, what exactly should be done for
> > upgrade?  Nuke the old files and unpack the new ones? Install new
> > ones along side?
>
> Apt already unpacks into packagename-version, which I think is a good
> idea here as well.

OTOH, this is not at all analog to what "apt-get upgrade" does. I
think the least surprise would be to delete the files present in the
old source package and then unpack the new one. This has the benefit,
that .o files remain and make will rebuild only those needed, plus
most configuration (.config for the kernel) remains intact.

--
Robbe