Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> writes:

> My version of sensible-x-terminal check $XTERMINAL environmental
> variable.

Are the l18n envvars not sufficient? One of the argument against
sensible-x-terminal seems to be the reluctance to add
yet-another-environment-variable.

> And more, it checks LC_CTYPE locale and invokes proper
> X terminal emulator for multibyte languages (CJK) and combining
> character languages (Thai).

Does LANG work, too?

I did not get your code to work quite properly. If I set LC_CTYPE to
something, I get

Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

from glibc.

> This package cannot be a solution because other softwares which
> invoke terminal (for example, Debian menu system) should invoke
> sensible-x-terminal instead of x-terminal-emulator or xterm.

Of course. But you could work some magic until then: Just divert
/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator, install your s-x-t under this name (or
symlink to it), and call the original version from s-x-t.

> The solution should be one of them:
>
>  - sensible-x-terminal is included in debianutils package or
>  - menu package and so on Depends: on sensible-x-terminal package
>    which I am now writing.

I don't have a problem with one of these. I would prefer a
Unicode-clean xterm, though ...

--
Robbe