Re: annoucement: auto-login patch for xdm

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > > I agree, we could start xdm in rnlevel 3 and "su someuser startx" in runlevel
> > > 4.
> > >
> > Great,I'll keep an eye and try it as soon as it's done.Thanks.
> >
> why do you want to wait? ;-)
>
> i attached my auto-login script again. now it has the auto-relogin problem
> nicely solved. if the server crashes, then the session will be restarted
> immediately. if you exit cleanly, then you have to press enter to log in
> again (it is done by a read command. so you could even use this input to
> perform a command, eg, you could make it accept "halt", if you want).
>
> put the script in /etc/init.d
> then run:
> update-rc.d -f xdm remove
> update-rc.d -f xdm start 99 3 . stop 01 0 1 2 4 5 6 .
> update-rc.d -f autologon start 99 4 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 5 6 .
>
> this way you get the following runlevels:
> 1: normal single-user
> 2: multi-user without x login
> 3: multi-user with xdm login
> 4: multi-user with x auto-login
> 5: ?
>
> and here is, how to make it with my xdm patch
> (http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ob6/unix/xautolog.html):
> cd /etc/X11/xdm
> cp xdm-config xdm-config-al
> edit xdm-config-al
>  -> add the auto-login options (see home page)
> cd /etc/init.d
> cp xdm xdm-al
> edit xdm-al:
>  -> change
>     start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pid $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON || echo -n " already running"
>     start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pid $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON -- -config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config-al || echo -n " already running"
> the following hack is necessary, because we must give xdm enough time to
> exit before it is started again (with the different config):
> edit rc:
>  -> add "sleep 1" before the line
>     "# Now run the START scripts for this runlevel."
>     (line 72 on my system)
> update-rc.d -f xdm remove
> update-rc.d -f xdm start 99 3 . stop 01 0 1 2 4 5 6 .
> update-rc.d -f xdm-al start 99 4 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 5 6 .
>
> have fun! :-)
>
> --
> Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature, please!
> --
> If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!

 I was waiting for test-cycle3 to reinstall and switch to xdm and gnome.
Right now I'm running kdm+kde.I also have a lot of crap installed over
time and lot of sources laying around and packages I never used except
for testing purposes and out of curiosity ...:-) .Clean-up needed .

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta