Re: Updating build-essential package list

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 02:55:41PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> And I still don't understand why it is C and C++ related only.

Which languages would you add?  Emacs Lisp?  Perl?  Python?  I admit that
the selection of essential programming languages was rather arbitrary,
mostly based on their use in the Debian base.

> To my mind, build-essential packages should be packages that are required by
> a large amount of packages to build, avoiding including them again and again in
> Build-Depends* fields.

But debhelper is not required to build ANY packages!  (Consider the
difference: you can rewrite the build system of any package to remove
debhelper, but you can't rewrite the build system of a package containing
a C program to not require a C compiler.)

It is just that most package maintainers consider debhelper useful.