Re: Debian Weekly News - June 27th, 2000

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 01:08:33PM +0300, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> > Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Just what we don't need...
> > That's what narrowminded ideology begets...
>
> I'd agree that setting up a deb repository is narrowminded.
>
> Consider this: any reasonable person who wants to become
> a Debian developer, can become a Debian developer. Once a developer,
> they can contribute to the official .deb repository.
>
> It is doubtful that you would want to install a .deb from someone
> rejected by our non-maintainer process anyway.
>
> Hence, there is simply no need for such a repository.
>
> Beyond that, installing such packages will no doubt lower the quality
> of your Debian system. There's no quality control on third party
> packages, for one thing. (rpmfind.net sounds like a complete disaster
> to me, especially since there are multiple distributions using .rpm)
> Namespace conflicts will apply. All the same problems with the
> external non-free repository apply to this idea too, another stupid
> idea recently discussed on debian-devel.
>
> Don't mention KDE. We all know why Debian can't distribute KDE.
> The license isn't up to it, and the KDE people don't publicly
> acknowledge the problem. In Australia we would say they have their
> heads up their arse.
>
> Hamish
> --
> Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@debian.org> <hamish@cloud.net.au>

May be so.But I'm quite happy with knomba,kicq,knapster.none of them
included in the distro or in the kde distribution-not even at the
kde.tdyc.com .I'd certainly like to have one site(whre I can use apt)
instead of having 3 bookmarked and cheking every month or so for
updates.
Also this http://www.wxwindows.org/Mahogany/ looks very promising,
stumbled over in a NG thread.
 I can keep going -not much but still..:-)
Users will always find something they consider usefull and some are even
willing to put up with software still under developement.
 Or you imply that as a Debian user the only unstable software I can
"officially " use is the unstable tree.After all it's my computer,my
install and if something is convenient I'll take it regardless of
other's opinion.
 What's the big deal anyway if it's not supported by Debian ????

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta