Re: An idea.... (Was: debfind.net (was: GNOME-HELIX))

Ben Armstrong wrote:
  >On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Clay Crouch wrote:
  >> If that should happen, how would we maintain QC?
  >
  >Who is the "we" in this sentence?  If it is Debian, then taking on this
  >responsibility is actively sanctioning the development of .debs outside of
  >Debian.  I have not yet heard a compelling argument for why this should be
  >done.

I think that this approach would help to discourage non-Debian archives,
because apt would warn "This is not signed by a Debian maintainer".

  >After following the whole GR debate, at first taking a moderate stance
  >that yes, something should be done about non-free, but finally being
  >compelled by the "status quo" arguments to change my mind, I do not think
  >unofficial repositories are good for the project.

I agree, but they will continue to exist.  (Sometimes, too, developers have
their own private repositories for experimental stuff.)

     "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he
      is able to help those who are being tempted."
                                        Hebrews 2:18