Re: non-installable binaries in main (was Re: busybox_0.45-1_i386.changes REJECTED)

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 05:23:43AM +1000, bug1 wrote:
> The only drawback of having installer components located in main is that
> some components such as busybox are not intended to be useable post
> installation.

In other words, there would be packages in main which can never be
installed on a system.  I don't see how such packages need to be in
the regular distribution, burned on the CDs, mirrored worldwide etc.
They are USELESS execpt if you're building the installation set.
(I'm assuming that the installer will not do clever tricks to retrieve
busybox & co at installation time; I'm assuming they will be part of
the install system image. If this assumption is false, then I'm wrong.)

> It is indisputable that the installer as a whole is very valuable and
> has to go somewhere

Of course.