testing whether package is removed or purged with -x, not -f

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 07:24:30PM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:
> > [chmod -x /sbin/portmap]
> >
> > > It's not wrong, it simply won't persist between package upgrades.  If
> > > you hack the init script, the package won't upgrade smoothly.
> >
> > Please prove your claim that removing the x bit is more correct than
> > putting "exit 0" in front of the init script. The former needs a
> > manual intervention at every upgrade, while the latter needs manual
> > intervention only when the init script changed.
>
> This cannot be proven - I didn't want it to run, so I chmod -x it.  It
> seemed like a logical thing to do.  I didn't want to delete it because I
> may have wanted it again later, and I didn't want to rename it because
> it would leave cruft in /sbin.

This would usually be handled by splitting out portmap daemon and its init.d
script into its own package... but I doubt that it is wise to do that.

> I asked only that it check -x, and not -f, thereby printing no error
> whatsoever.  The error printed is not the script saying something is wrong
> - it is bash saying the script is trying to do something wrong.

So file a (severity wishlist) bug against the package containing the script,
there's little point in mailing -devel about it.