Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 09:31:42PM +0200, Harald Schmid wrote:
> Hallo everybody,
>
> I just read in the weekly news, that Ben Collins proposed at the Zeroth Debian
> Conference to remove libc5 packages. At the Conference nobody could imagine
> "compelling reasons to have it around". Probably there was no user of comercial
> software present.

I surely hope that it did not read this way. I was at no such conference,
this was done on the list.

> I use an old comercial spreadsheet (no soucecode available) based on libc5 and
> don't want to miss it. I guess there might exist lots of  other sourceless
> libc5-based  software outside the inner circle of debian developpers.
> Removing oldlibs would remove a big advantage of gnu/linux compared to other
> OS'ses: Until now even paleonthologig software is still workling perfectly.

Your fear is based on the FUD that removing it from woody makes it
completely unavailable for users, and mysteriously removes it from existing
systems. That is not the case, the potato binaries will be available (as
stable) for atleast another year, and still after that on
archive.debian.org. So we are not aboloshing it from Debian, we want to
discontinuing inclusion of it into post-potato distributions.

Even upgrading to post-potato distributions will not cause libc5 to be
uninstalled, or your libc5 applications to be broken.