Intent To Split: netbase

Hello world,

I intend to split netbase into a plethora of little packages based on
how they're distributed upstream. The new netbase package won't quite
be virtual: it'll still include some bits of infrastructure (like
update-inetd, and /etc/init.d/networking), but it's main job will be
depending on all the real tools.

Currently I expect the Depends: line will look something like:

        net-tools | iproute,
        ifupdown,
        ipchains | iptables | ipfwadm,
        ipmasqadm | iptables | ipautofw,
        netkit-inetd
        tcpd,
        iputils | netkit-ping,
        portmap,
        netkit-rpc

iproute, iptables and tcpd are not part of netbase at present,
everything else there is.

This'll mean you can choose the 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 networking tools and not
have to have the ones you're not using cluttering your system. I plan to
put the 2.2 tools in section base/standard, and leave the alternatives
in net/optional.

I hope to give update-inetd (and DebianNet.pm) a rewrite fairly soon now,
which'll (eventually) change the netkit-inetd line there to `netkit-inetd
| xinetd', and fix a few outstanding bugs too.

I also hope to start moving some of the above to `Recommends'
or `Suggests', in particular portmap and netkit-rpc, tcpd, and
ipmasqadm|iptables|ipautofw.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark