Re: cupsys (was: Re: lprng as 'stantard' package)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Don't you think this should be in the BTS so that it is not forgotten?
> I mean we should not lose the content of that mail - it takes time to
> write that down...

Well, I did CC: the cupsys maintainer. I'll give him sometime, and if
nothing is done (i.e.: no answer or no new cupsys 1.1 package :^P ) I'll
file it to the BTS.

> > That done, I'm one of those who would gladly drop lprng for cups. I think
> > the quality increase of the packaging is well worth the trouble of
> > implementing it.
>
> There is still a problem with cups. When I tried it I got it to work
> locally but I was unable to print remotely. I gave up after an hour
> and installed lprng instead...

CUPS 1.0 needs an external daemon to talk to lpd remote printers, I think.
CUPS 1.1 should do both incoming and outgoing LPD requests as far as I can
tell from the source.

> Probably I did something wrong but I think more people will know how
> to configure lprng than cups...

Yes, at least for now. But cups might be a good candidate to be the standard
Debian print system for Woody+1, as long as we get it to shape now so as to
allow for enough testing.

  Henrique Holschuh