Re: splitting up kernel-image into two pieces

On Jul 17, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Nick Cabatoff <ncc@cs.mcgill.ca> writes:
> > It's not that it does anything 'wrong' per se, it's that I don't agree
> > that installing a kernel image on a machine should make it the only
> > operative one.
>
> Well, all the installed kerenl-images will be in /boot/vmlinuz*.
> Depends on your boot-loader setup which of those you can boot. (For
> example, I use grub which understands ext2fs and thus can boot any of
> them.)

Well and good, but grub isn't an option for me at this point.  And
either way, even having to go to the machine's console to choose a
different kernel is undesireable in my mind.

> I mentioned it because I guessed that putting "do_symlink=no" into
> /etc/kernel-img.conf will solve your problem. That will stop the
> postinst scripts from messing with your symlinks. Your machine(s) will
> boot the same kernel unless you change the link yourself.

Except that as I mentionned, I don't want to have to update lilo.conf
when I install a new kernel.

Anyway, given the less than overwhelming response to my proposal, it
seems like noone else has any great need for this.  Whatever, it works
for me.