Re: IPv6 adoption

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Bolan Meek wrote:

> Current routers do not do things "in hardware", but in RAM, with the OS
> loaded from Flash/EEPROM.  They are merely special-purpose computers.
> If I recall accurately, the last Cisco 2500 I had open was based on
> a 68030.  We're not forgetting the routing capabilities of Linux, are
> we?

This is not completely true.. Modern high end ciscos have a CPU and
a few FPGAs. The FPGAs are hardware devices that do all the extermely high
speed switching required, the CPU mearly configures and monitors the
FPGAs.

Linux has routing capabilities, but it won't compare to a cisco if you try
to feed it 8 gigabit ethernet lines :>

Jason