Re: A 'diff' eq for binaries?

On 17 Jul 2000, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Pavel> 10X a lot. My idea it to ask you if you are plannig to use
>     Pavel> it for upgrading .deb-s.
>
> There have been a few attempts to do this in the past; the main
> problem is that if you use xdeltas, you have to provide an xdelta
> between *EVERY* prior version and the current version, or else
> they still have to download the entire .deb over again.
>
> Ben

So as to this the only problem I see is that webmasters would have to
supply up to twice as more space on their servers. (The number of
xdeltas they would maintain would be limited, so that their total size is
not greater than the newest packages's size.) Of course, they would have
to maintain an xdelta for upgrading between every two prior versions (but
what's the issue here?). What they would win is lower network overhead.

And BTW, thanks for the hint, I would have a look the mail archive.

Pavel M. Penev