Re: ITP: codecommander

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:13:58 Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:15:00PM +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> > Why should I contact the upstream author? I normally only do this in case
> > there
> > is a severe bug in a package which I want to fix.
> >
> > Anyone can make a debian package and make it available somewhere. This does
not

> > mean an official developer can't package it. Let me know when you become a
> > developer,
> > I will be happy to give it back to you.
>
> from /usr/doc/maint-guide/maint-guide.txt.gz lines 305 onwards:
>
>         * you should contact program's author(s) to check if they agree
>           with packaging it.  It is important to be able to consult with
>           author(s) about the program in case of any program specific
>           problems, so don't try to package unmaintained pieces of
>           software.
>
> It is useful to contact the upstream author before packaging to ensure
> it is maintained, and that they agree to it being packaged.

Okay. I have removed the package from incoming. Will contact the upstream
author tomorrow.

Ondrej, do you mind if I upload it into debian, when I get permission from
the author?

> --
> Malcolm Parsons
> finger malcolm@bits.bris.ac.uk for info

Joop
-
Joop Stakenborg - Debian GNU/Linux developer <pa3aba@debian.org>

--> Woody is as hard as a.... Frozen Potato?
(More woody jokes at http://pa4tu.penguinpowered.com/woody)