Re: rman (PolyglotMan) + TkMan are now under the Artistic License.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 01:13:21AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 09:26:12AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:49:27PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > You are one of the most hysterically panicky people I have ever met.
> >
> > Come on, just asking questions about it ...
> >
> > btw, just found out that xf4 mesa is incompatible with potato and current
> > woody wine (fix on the way for woody it seems though ...)
>
> 4.0 and 4.0.1 are substantially different; it would help if you would

Well, i don't think they are so different, apart from more drivers support and
the DRI stuff updated. But anyway, the incompatibility came from wine not
liking thread enabled mesa, which is present in all X installs (just mesa, no
DRI stuff) as well as woody mesa ...

> mention which version you are talking about when referring to bugs and
> incompatibilities.

Well, i ran every version in between 4.0 and 4.0.1 but am currently running a
mostly 4.0.1 setup. (well with my additional glint pm3 driver work.

> > just mutt too commode 'g' key ...
>
> I can't parse this.  But nevermind, I'll chalk it up to a hasty error.

Well, it is considered good form when writing to lists to do a reply to all,
(key 'g' in mutt) when replying to a mail. this will reply to all persons who
where recipient of the replied to mail, ...

> > Well, but the name suggest that ggi will only run with the mesa+ggi version,
> > and not the mesa alone version. so will ggi run with the xfree version
> > installed Or will you not be able to run ggi with XF4 installed.
> >
> > But then this surely is a ggi issue more than a XF issue.
>
> Probably, but I understand Red Hat is cooking up a wrapper library that
> will somehow figure out which of several Mesa (GL) versions is demanded and
> LD_PRELOAD the right one for the application.

This seems somewhat heavy to me, best would be to switch to purely XF4 for
woody, and keep the 3.3.6 server as compatibility stuff, don't know exactly,

> We can probably adapt such a thing to our own purposes.  Right now I'm just
> trying to cross the bridge of preliminary .debs.  I am being held up by an
> incredibly aggravating Xsun bug in 3.3.6.

:(((

> > > Well, I'm sure I'll figure something out, Sven.  Instead of freaking out,
> > > either calm down and contribute, or be quiet.
> >
> > Huh sorry, ...
> >
> > just wanted to tell you about what my experience in the past few month with
> > XF4 + debian has shown me, and i thought also that discution about a topic is
> > in a way contributing also, or are not that what the debian mailign list are
> > all about ?
>
> Often your tone implies to me that you expect me to solve all of these
> problems for you.  Debian is a group effort, and a volunteer effort.  I can

Well, this surely comes from the fact that often your tone suggest that you
want everything done by yourself only about this, but the tone of a mail
should not hinder us working together, remember also that not everyone is a
native english speaker, and so maybe don't choose the most acomodating of
tones, and are aware of all the subtilities of the english tongue ...

> only accomplish so much and I have to prioritize the time I do have.

No problem, i wrote to the list, the nice thing with it is that you can come
back later and check the archive, will in the mean time i may have forgoten
the stuff i wanted to say.

> Working for Progeny is greatly increasting the amount of time I can
> contribute, but there are still only so many hours in the day.

Well, my opinion is that a team work (in the manner of boot-floppies) would
maybe be the best approch to the huge beast that is xfree, especially since
XF4 now includes lot of other libs that were not included before (especially
the mesa/GL stuff). But when i told you this some time ago, i was told to mind
my own business ...

> Furthermore, I'm simply not experienced with the internals of the X source
> code.  Especially not driver-level stuff.

Well, i am not saying that i am either, but i am doing some driver work right
now, and will maybe be doing some DRI work in the future, and you pick up some
stuff by the way ...

I have also been running XF4 on top of debian since some time now.

> > And please, don't take it bad, i just told you that, because i thought of it,
> > and i thought that you, the all mighty Xfree maintainer could maybe benefit
> > from it ?
>
> See my above remarks about "tone".
>
> > (BTW, XF4 will not run with matroxfb on my work box, so i reverted to 3.3.6)
>
> Again, is this 4.0 or 4.0.1?

4.0.1 naturraly, 4.0 is very outdated, and as xfree developper, i consider it
my duty to run the lastmost release of it, to do testing ...

(btw, about matroxfb, Petr (the matroxfb maintainer) told me that he will not
support XF4 until there is a debian package of it ...)

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER