Re: new fields in debian/control

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 02:33:34PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Successor-Of:
>
> This has been proposed many times, including by me.  At one point I tried
> to convince Jason Gunthorpe of it.  He started burning black candles, drew
> a thaumaturgic circle around himself, and mumbled something about it making
> the task apt's problem-resolver NP-complete.

I can't really imagine why. Apt can ATM handle multiple versions of
the same package pretty well. What will it matter in principle if
these incarnations are not called foo-1.0 and foo-1.2, but foo-1.1 and
bar-2.3?

Even if more than one package are named as successors of foo, apt
could just lump them together into one bar&baz&quux node in its
dependency DAG (they are not allowed to conflict, of course).

--
Robbe