Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 11:16:11AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> If it is the most important to stop the 'feedback loop' and promote
> international Xterm, we should rather adopt a 7-bit terminal emulator
> as the default so that not only Asian people but also European-language
> speakers are forced to develop the international Xterm!

Heh, okay, I take your point.

> PS. I started to contact with Xterm developer.  However, this does
>     not mean that I will withdraw my sensible-x-terminal-emulator.

This is mainly what I'm getting it.  xterm is actively maintained these
days, and what's more, its maintainer seems to really care about i18n
issues.  He's applied dozens of patches from Markus Kuhn, who's heavily
into Unicode support on Linux.  Indeed, AFAICT xterm is superior to or on
par with the development pace of any other terminal program in use.  This
pace has been masked by the fact that most people don't know that you can
get xterm separate from the XFree86 tree, which releases quite slowly.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |        kernel panic -- causal failure