Re: cupsys (was: Re: lprng as 'stantard' package)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> [sorry again for the late replies, as I'm trying to catch up]
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 09:39:49AM -0300, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > I've managed to do this in theory (compiled, but untested): Just add back

> Got it.  I will note this and implement it.

Don't. It doesn't work. I sent a patch to the CUPSML yesterday which does
implement this right, along with a much better fontpath for Debian (taken
from the gs-aladdin package) and Makefiles cleanup which fix that mess of
RMs you had in Debian's 1.0.4 package :-)

BTW, it looks like they fixed the library builds as well, so now a simple
$(MAKE) is enough to correctly build the package.

> If you have patches, I'd appreciate them; otherwise, I'll just go
> ahead and do this.

I've been sending the patches to the CUPSML for upstream inclusion. If you
don't subscribe to that list, drop me a reply and I'll send them directly to
you.

> In theory, this shouldn't be necessary if we can get CUPS to use gs
> rather than pstoraster.

Regardless, I've managed to implement this, so that one can choose wether to
use stock GS or the modified CUPS version.

> >  -  cupsys-bsd, libcupsys1, libcupsys1-dev
> >  -  cupsys-pstoraster
> >       Stuff not needed by onwers of ps printers or cupsys-gs users, that is
> >       the pstoraster filter and its data files. This package should depend
> >       on gsfonts, and have the Debian standard gs_lib_default_path with cups
> >       lib directories added hardcoded in. This one is at least 1254kb
> >       installed (after stripping). I'd be even bigger if the fonts were not
> >       removed.
> >
> >       Send the default lib path stuff upstream as a wishlist. Why they removed
> >       it in the first place is something I don't know.
> >  -  cupsys-pdftops
> >       All the pdf stuff. Unless xpdf is so good as to accept and correctly
> >       process just about every PDF in the planet (including the encrypted
> >       ones!), it shouldn't be forced down our throats (even if it's not
> >       much bigger than 300kb installed after stripping).
> >  -  cupsys-docs
> >       The /usr/share/doc/cupsys documents cups like to export to the world.
> >       *Please* add a WARNING-FOLDER-EXPORTED-BY-CUPSYS file to this directory,
> >       for obvious reasons. This is about 2097kb installed, so it DOES
> >       deserve a package of its own.
> >
> >       Also, there is a pdf and a html+external images version of every
> >       document, which is a waste of space. The pdfs are 1261kb, the
> >       remaining 836kb being the html+images version of the same docs. Maybe
> >       a cupsys-docpdf package would be good enough, and the html+images
> >       could go in cupsys base package anyway.
>
> I like your way of thinking about this better.  The problem is that
> the docs contain links to the PS and PDF versions of the docs, so
> you'd have to modify all the index pages depending on what you had
> installed, which becomes a mess.  OTOH, if all the docs are stuffed
> into one package, one link on the master page would be all that would
> need to change.

I really hate when upstream makes a mess of things :-)

I didn't bitch in cupsml about the atrocious handling of
/etc/cups/printers.conf yet, but I will sooner or later. Since when mixing
configuration and state is acceptable in a well designed product?!  CUPSD
will _trash_ your printers.conf file and write to it so many times (at least
once per IPP request) it actually belongs in /var, not in /etc. This is Not
Good.

I really didn't expect to find such a thing in CUPS after the beatiful way
they got the MIME handling thing to be painlessly extensible :-(

> >  -  cupsys-magicfilter
> >       Magic-filter glue as a very low priority (high cost) filter for CUPS.
> >       Contribute this one to the cups bazar (or upstream), of course. I'll
> >       write it if that's what it takes to get it done (but I'm not a Debian
> >       developer, so someone else must do the packaging).
>
> Write it, and I'll package it.  (Or not, and I'll add it to my todo
> list.)

Right, I'll write it. CUPS is broken for */* MIME types right now (I tested
:-), and the manual DOES say "DON'T DO IT"), so one would have to add the
filters directly (which isn't a bad thing, come to think of it). Which means
write a 'magicfilter' clone for CUPS instead of interfacing the two (it'd be
pointless to interface the two packages since all the MIME detection and
identification would have to be duplicated anyway).

> >  -  cupsys-ppd
> >       Lots and lots of freely-distributable PPDs. Note that the ppds
> >       distributed with CUPS are in the cupsys base package, not here.
> >       BTW, IMHO PPDs should always be conffiles and stored somewhere in /etc,
> >       not in /usr/lib or /usr/share.
>
> Not the way CUPS handles them.  The PPDs in /usr/share are templates;
> when you create a printer, they are copied into /etc/cups/ppd.  I
> would imagine that third-party CUPS PPDs should be treated the same
> way.
>
> As I mentioned, I'd like to make it possible for others to package
> these as add-ons.  If no one has the time or ability, I'll get to it
> eventually.

They'll have to be there for CUPS to plead for Standard priority, though. I
suppose whomever packages PPDs should place them somewhere in /usr/share/.
If CUPS takes the responsability of copying them to /etc/cups/ppd, they
needn't be conffiles or stored in /etc. While this would have to be
documented, it's actually a good way to do things IMHO.

> >  -  cupsys-gs
> >       The GS PPD and filter glue, for those who'd rather use an external
> >       (and possibly more up-to-date) GS than pstoraster. This also requires
> >       less disk space than pstoraster if you already have gs installed
> >       anyway, but lacks pstoraster integration with cups (memory limits, and
> >       *maybe* a faster handling of the resulting ps or bitmap to the next
> >       guy in the chain as far as I can tell). On the other hand, it supports
> >       a LOT of printers CUPS never will out-of-the-box.
>
> Got it.

I wonder if the colorspace mapping and correction doesn't go bonkers with a
standalone GS, but that'll have to wait. I don't feel like testing THAT now,
and I don't have a color printer handy anyway.

Good luck with CUPS 1.1.1. I'm trying to package it myself just to learn how
to do a multiple binary package, and so far it doesn't seem too bad (I'm not
even trying to touch the smooth upgrade stuff, though :-) ).

  Henrique Holschuh