Re: About VICE

Cc list mail to me directly if you want a timely response.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 05:19:51PM +0200, Christian Surchi wrote:
> I'd like to consider the situation of VICE package in debian. VICE is a
> CBM emulator (PET, VIC20, C64, C128). We have (in woody and potato) in
> contrib/otherosfs version 1.0. I think it's more than a year that 1.4
> exists. It solve some problems (included some bugs, because debian package
> has open bugs) and works better (support for C128 for example).

> I wrote to debian maintainer Giuliano Procida, myxie (at) d.o, but no
> answers and no activity in BTS too.

    I was planning to take over this package from him.  He more or
less orphaned it, and it was supposed to become my responsibility, but
I ended up getting busy personally before I finished trying to get
distribution permission for the ROMs.  I *did* track down who owns the
rights to them (Tulip, in the Netherlands).  I hadn't yet found out if
they know they own the rights to them.  I was in the process of
drafting letters to them when my life got complicated again.

> I use it sometimes and I'd like to see a new version in woody. I could do
> a new package of 1.4 release.

    The previous mechanism was to create a downloader program that
went to a known location for the ROM images and downloaded them.  The
previous version stopped working, and I considered it a horrible idea
to build a package that will break on new installs every time a remote
site changes its layout.  I *did* in fact create a vice-roms package,
but I can't upload it without opening a legal can of worms.
    Ideally, I'll get in touch with Tulip sometime soon and get
permission to do it.  The vice-roms package will then go into
non-free, vice will go into contrib, roses will bloom, the sun will
come out, and peace and love will reign on earth.
    Other options:  I find a nice host in a faraway land to host the
vice-roms package.  I create a package-generator package, to allow
people to rip the ROM images out of the upstream VICE package.  I go
back to the concept of an image downloading script.

> Another question. Actual package is in contrib, I think because of roms.
> Naturally we have no roms in debian and script that should download them

    It needs to be removed completely.  I believe that the source
package is simply the upstream source package, and actually contains
ROM images, though the binary package does not.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.