Re: tetex is incomplete! waiting for sponsor

* Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> writes:

> From: Colin Marquardt <colin@marquardt-home.de>
> Subject: Re: tetex is incomplete! waiting for sponsor
> Date: 27 Jul 2000 22:33:33 -0700

>> > Yes, so this means Debian 2.2 provides insufficient TeX
>> > environment for users....
>>
>> So that would mean that also tetex is providing an insufficient TeX
>> environment for its users. I cannot really believe that... :-)

> No, it is no wonder.  The upstream teTeX maintainer try
> to eliminate all non-free components from teTeX, even if
> it might be useful component, and make teTeX to be completely
> free software.  ('foiltex' is one of such eliminated components.)

And rightfully so. The distribution even bears his initials.  But
my point was more in the direction that the lack of foiltex doesn't
make tetex unusable, not even insufficient. And then, it is easy to
install it by hand.

> And I guess that tetex-maint of Debian helps to do so.

Fighting for DFSG-freeness of the distribution is part of the social
contract, no?

> Then what is tetex-nonfree?  I heard it is macro packages,
> authors of which have intention to change their licenses
> to free one.  And please note that tetex-nonfree of the
> current woody contains only textmerg and nehyph[1,2].

> In the past it contained, at least, several macro packages.

Maybe they didn't want to change their licenses. Maybe we should
have a tex-nonfree in addition to tetex-nonfree to make clear that
the sources are not part of tetex.

Colin