Re: why apt/dpkg not using bzip2

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 03:15:10PM +0600, Sergey I. Golod wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Why apt/dpkg doesn't use bzip2 for Packages file?
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       749427 Sep  3 00:56 Packages.bz2
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     1024180 Sep  3 00:56 Packages.gz
>
> It's about 25% can be saved in download.

Historical reasons - bzip2 is newer than gzip, and didn't exist when the
choice was made.

Standards reasons - gzip is essential: yes on Debian, and is required for dpkg
anyway. bzip2 is still priority optional, and it hasn't gained enough usage
through other channels to be raised to standard.

Speed reasons - gzip is significantly faster than bzip2, which matters
for old ix86 (x=3,4) and m68k machines which run Debian.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.net.dhis.org