Re: build question

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 01:29:02AM +0200, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 07:19:11PM +0000, michael d. ivey wrote:
> > i'm a new maintainer, and maybe this is better directed at -mentors,
> > or maybe it's in the docs somewhere...if so, just point me that way,
> > please.
> >
> > my main server is potato.  is it "bad" for me to be building packages
> > there if they are destined for woody?  should i start building on a
> > woody box?
> >
> If possible, your package should depend on packages in potato only.
> Then users won't be forced to install other unstable packages,
> just to try out your package.

If you only have a potato box, then it's usually acceptable if your
packages are built on it, so long as they are acceptable for woody
(built on libraries that are in woody, for example).

Contrary to Tom, though, if packages are destined for woody, packages
should be built on woody, because that's how the build demons will
build them, that's how people will run them, and that's how they
will eventually be released. It will also help shake out bugs in
unstable libraries. If you want to build them so that potato users
can use them, do so and store them in a directory on master or
a private machine and tell people how to get them.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org