Re: ITP lame

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Bart Schuller wrote:

> > The problem is not "patents", it's that this particular patent also
> > applies in Germany, meaning we can't distribute from non-us either.
>
> Yes we can, but not to or from Germany. Non-US is in The Netherlands,
> which doesn't have software patents.

The policy says about non-US:

2.1.5. The non-us server
------------------------

     Some programs with cryptographic program code need to be stored on
the
     "non-us" server because of export restrictions of the U.S.

     This applies only to packages which contain cryptographic code.  A
     package containing a program with an interface to a cryptographic
     program or a program that's dynamically linked against a
cryptographic
     library should not be distributed via the non-us server if it is
     capable of running without the cryptography library or program.

The non-US server is only for packages that include cryptographic program
code. You are allowed to use all of these packages outside the USA, inside
the USA and you may import them into the USA. The only restriction is you
can't export them from the USA. Packages in non-US/main are part of
Debian.

non-US has NOTHING to do with patents or other restrictions on the use of
the packages. You are even allowed to use these packages inside the USA.

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi