Re: Python 1.6 released and GPL incompatible

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:37:17AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> I think that we are going to see more and more cases of GPL "incompatibilities"
> as time goes on.

Agreed; although market forces are driving many software development houses
towards "Open Source", they're still trying to squirm out of making things
free software.

> I am disappointed that RMS is fighting over something as trivial as a
> company asking that legal issues be settled in their home state
> (country).  This is common practice.

I don't think it's trivial at all.  Consider that UCITA is the law of the
land in Virginia, which is where CNRI are trying to corral all
interpretation of the Python license.  If contracts are to be interpreted
only by adjudicators that have already been bought by (or otherwise have
some bias in favor of) one of the parties, then what you have is a letter
of extortion, not a contract.

On a far more pragmatic level, it may be impossible for citizens of the
state of Iowa to become Python licensees under the terms CNRI and BeOpen
have in mind, depending on the details of UCITA and the anti-UCITA measures
passed by the Iowa state legislature.

<http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO49486,00.html>

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Murphy's Guide to Science:
Debian GNU/Linux                |    If it's green or squirms, it's biology.