Re: RFC: fix for daemon start on package install/upgrade out-of-runlevel

MoiN

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 09:19:10AM -0300, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> BTW, on an unrelated note, a ps | grep solution *MUST* deal with the
> following possible scenarios,
[...]
>   3. Multiple instances of daemon (and you want to kill only the one you
>      started -- never seen anyone need this, though, as daemons like apache
>      have better ways to detect the right daemon to kill... so _maybe_ this
>      special case can be ignored)

No, please don't! Ssh makes use of it by starting on sshd daemon,
which listens on port 22 and forks another instance for each
incoming connection. If you would kill all "sshd" processes you
immediatly loose your existing ssh connection, which is bad, if
you start the upgrade remote via ssh.

>   4. Other processes in the ps listing which contains "daemon" as a substring,
>      e.g.: a vi /etc/daemon, or a daemon substring in another program name or
>      parameter.

  5. Other processes which have the same name as running
     programs. This can happen either by chance or on purpose,
     which may be a sign for a compromised system? Maybe _this_
     special case could be ignored, but the other 4 definitively
     can't.

> I haven't read the pidof code, but I will assume it can handle all of the
> above. If it doesn't, pidof needs to be fixed.

How would you kill a daemon that has the same name as the one you
would kill, but it's binary was deleted!? (see other mail)

    Ingo
--
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.
This email was infected under the terms of the GNU General Public License.