Re: KDE is not working!

yea..grab the .deb's out of incoming...or change your /usr/bin/startkde script
iout with the one I'm attaching.

Ivan

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 01:33:14PM -0700, Michael Meskes wrote:
> I just updated my old 1.1.2 installation from Ivan's site to the new 2.0
> packages from woody. And nothing's going! KDM works but after login I get
> that splash screen telling me it's trying to setup KDE and even telleing me
> "KDE is up and running". Then it disappears and the screen remains grey. I
> can move the mouse but do not get a menu or something like that. Of course I
> do not get a panel or a kvt or anything I could work with.
>
> Anyone's out there with an idea what's going on?
>
> Michael
>
> P.S.: I did copy my .kde and .kderc aside before starting kde2.
> --
> Michael Meskes
> Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
> Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
> Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!
>

> --
---end quoted text---

--
----------------
Ivan E. Moore II

# Boot sequence:
#
# kdeinit is used to fork off processes which improves memory usage
# and startup time.
#
# * kdeinit starts the dcopserver and klauncher first.
# * then kdesktop is launched, it is started very early in the startup
#   process to give the user visual feedback as soon as possible.
#   Since it needs a working ksycoca database it waits for a
#   "sycoca database changed" signal from kded before it becomes functional.
# * Then kded is started. kded is responsible for keeping the sycoca
#   database up to date. When an up to date database is present it sends
#   a "sycoca database changed" signal.
#
# * The rest of the start-up sequence is less critical.
#
# kdeinit starts dcopserver, klauncher, kdesktop, kicker, kded and
# kwrited

# Prevent an ever growing .ICEauthority file, since that will kill application
# startup performance.
rm -f $HOME/.ICEauthority

# hack, workaraound, evil
rm -f $HOME/.DCOPserver

# Set a left cursor instead of the standard X11 "X" cursor, since I've heard
# from some users that they're confused and don't know what to do. This is
# especially necessary on slow machines, where starting KDE takes one or two
# minutes until anything appears on the screen.
#
# Set the background to plain grey.
# The standard X background is nasty, causing moire effects and exploding
# people's heads. We use colours from the standard KDE palette for those with
# palettised displays.

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr -solid '#C0C0C0'

# The user's personal KDE directory is usually $HOME/.kde, but this setting
# may be overridden by setting KDEHOME.

kdehome=$HOME/.kde
test -n "$KDEHOME" && kdehome=$KDEHOME

# Activate the kde font directories.
#
# There are 4 directories that may be used for supplying fonts for KDE.
#
# There are two system directories. These belong to the administrator.
# There are two user directories, where the user may add her own fonts.
#
# The 'override' versions are for fonts that should come first in the list,
# i.e. if you have a font in your 'override' directory, it will be used in
# preference to any other.
#
# The preference order looks like this:
# user override, system override, X, user, system
#
# Where X is the original font database that was set up before this script
# runs.

usr_odir=$kdehome/share/fonts/override
sys_odir=$KDEDIR/share/fonts/override
usr_fdir=$kdehome/share/fonts
sys_fdir=$KDEDIR/share/fonts

# We run mkfontdir on the user's font dirs (if we have permission) to pick
# up any new fonts they may have installed. If mkfontdir fails, we still
# add the user's dirs to the font path, as they might simply have been made
# read-only by the administrator, for whatever reason.

test -d $usr_odir && (mkfontdir $usr_odir ; xset +fp $usr_odir)
test -d $sys_odir && xset +fp $sys_odir
test -d $usr_fdir && (mkfontdir $usr_fdir ; xset fp+ $usr_fdir)
test -d $sys_fdir && xset fp+ $sys_fdir

# Ask X11 to rebuild its font list.
xset fp rehash

# Link "tmp" resource to directory in /tmp
# Creates a directory /tmp/kde-$USER and links $KDEHOME/tmp-$HOSTNAME to it.
lnusertemp tmp

# Link "socket" resource to directory in /tmp
# Creates a directory /tmp/ksocket-$USER and links $KDEHOME/socket-$HOSTNAME to it.
lnusertemp socket

# the splashscreen and progress indicator
ksplash

# We set LD_BIND_NOW to increase the efficiency of kdeinit.
# kdeinit unsets this variable before loading applications.
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kdesktop +kcminit +kicker +klipper +khotkeys kwrited

# start ktips if requested
if ! grep "TipsOnStart=false" $kdehome/share/config/kdewizardrc >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
  ktip --waitforwm&
fi

# finally, give the session control to the session manager
# Syntax:   ksmserver [--restore] [--windowmanager <wm>]
# if no windowmanager is specified, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
# [--restore] should be controlled by kdm
exec ksmserver --restore