Re: why apt/dpkg not using bzip2

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 11:42:32AM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > > This only works, if the diff's are independend or one diff is diff are on
> > > the top of each other. So I do not see the advantage of many diffs.
> >
> > The advantage of having multiple diffs is that distinct changes can be
> > kept distinct.  You do need a system for ensuring that the diffs are
> > applied in the correct order and so on, but given that multiple diffs
> > are very much nicer.  It becomes very much more obvious what has been
> > changed and how, not to mention far simpler to adjust the set of changes
> > that have been applied.  As an added bonus, the handling of upstream
> > source that include patches is more elegant.
>
> Is it realy so much easier?
> I do not have experiences with maintaining patched software. But I
> experienced for example, that I had to made major changes to apply a
> patch for a 2.0.30 kernel to a debianiced 2.0.36 kernel.
> And with I the software I develop, there is seldom one patch that would
> not collide with an other.
> I imagine it much easier to have the orginal code and the debian code,
> where I can get from one to the other through one diff.
> Correct me, if I err, but when you have an code with two patches and
> want to change patch 1 to an newer version of this, wouldn't you need to
> change patch 2 then, too?

Generally, you don't have a problem with colliding patches. Even when you do
have some overlap, it's not all that difficult. After all, we are only
talking 5 - 20 patches on average, not 50 - 100. Most patches are small and
in the form of "security fix" or "get rid of compiler warnings" etc..

> > Aside from requiring CVS this looses information for anyone without
> > access to the repository.  That's a hassle when you get maintainer
> > changes and makes the packaghe source itself much less useful than it
> > could be.
>
> I think aside of one diff or many diffs a list of patches done to the code
> and where you got them from is a good thing to have in every package.

Most patches are done by the maintainer, or submitted as bug reports. Those
are listed in the changelog, but even then, it doesn't help dereference the
patched source to it's individual patches.