Re: deb-make

Bruce writes:
> I didn't mean it to sound that way. The problem was that Ian controlled
> dpkg development, and I didn't see the possibility for such a tool, and
> I guess neither did Ian. I think we were disbelieving enough in the
> concept that we did not encourage discussion of it on debian-devel. So
> the concept had to be proven _first_ before anyone would listen. This
> did not facilitate a long open planning session before building the tool.

I don't remember it this way at all.

The first I heard about debmake was as an experimental package, and I
didn't pay much attention.  It was only when I started to notice
people posting messages about it that I went and investigated it.

Naturally by this time I was rather sceptical about a tool which
hadn't, as far as I could tell, had an open design phase at all.

I definitely don't remember Christoph posting to debian-devel that he
proposed to make such a tool and implement it in such and such a way,
or I would have put my oar in about its design and interfaces.  Then,
perhaps, I wouldn't find myself feeling that the interface needed to
be replaced with a different, incompatible interface.

I'm strongly opposed to the tendency we've had recently for tools to
become `standard' without anyone really having discussed their
purpose, design, implementation and place in the scheme of things.
If it continues it will lead to more problems in the future.

Ian.