New "af" package ready for upload

I've been working on a Debian package of a GPLed mail reader I've
written (on a Debian system lately, so I thought a Debian package was
appropriate).  I've got a package of the latest beta-release ready,
but I have one question and a request for comments before I upload it.

Being a beta-release, should this go into "contrib" or "unstable"?
The FAQ implies that beta-releases should go into contrib, but
there are already several betas in the main 1.2 distribution (vm
and tkmail spring to mind).  Is their presence a bug?  Or is my copy
of the FAQ seriously out-of-date?

Secondly, I thought I'd announce the pending upload beforehand, so
that people have a chance to make any comments.

Thanks
--
M a l c . . .            |  "A wrong parameters may be caused the mainboard
(malc@thing.demon.co.uk) |   out of order."  -- Pentium motherboard manual.