Making tools smarter (was Re: An alternative to deb-make)

Ian Jackson wrote:

>Any changes to dpkg-gencontrol &c should be backward-compatible.

Absolutely.

>I don't think this has much to do with any future deb-make-a-like.

No, it dosen't.  I probably should have changed the Subject header.  This
is about making the lower-level tools smarter for the benefit of those who
don't want to use debmake or anything similar.

(Let me state right now that the reason I don't use debmake is because I
object to the *concept*, not the execution.  Debmake is a DWIM tool, and
I avoid DWIM tools whenever possible, for what I think are tolerably obvious
reasons.)

--Galen