Re: What about md5sums and debmake/dpkg?

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> Christoph:
>
> There is a problem with debstd: If it generates md5sums, it is clear that
> it must be the last command in debian/rules before actually creating the
> packages. So one can not add a single file or change anything after debstd
> has done his job (this is a problem for one or two of my packages).
>
> Should md5sums not be dpkg's work?

Yes it should. But given the way dpkg has been handled and not being
further developed I do not expect anything to happen on that issue.

We have discussed checksums since August 96 ...

There are a huge number of bugs listed for dpkg and also other conceptual
problems with the product that will probably take some time to clean up.
debmake is probably the best intermediate solution given that most
packages do not change any files after debstd has been called.

> BTW: How this md5sums matter is supposed to work? Will they usually fail
> for conffiles, or should these files be excluded?

They are automatically excluded in my implementation.

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.