Re: debmake: a compromise?

Now that we have a board of directors, let's have them take some
control on this issue. Let's see if we can at last get
some leadership on the direction the packaging system needs
to take.

It is quite clear from the responses that moving to RPM is
not an option. Let's focus on what needs to be done to improve the
packaging system. Instead of everyone talking about minutia, let's
do the following:

1-Board appoints a packaging system leader. It's so central to the
  success of Debian it needs a leader - at least until we get the
  wrinkles ironed out.

2-The leader then organizes changes to the following:
  a - refinements to dpkg
  b - make dselect easier for newbies. This probably means creation of a
      second 'black box' tool. People can then graduate to the more powerful
      dselect.
  c - 'debmake like' system to ease package creation

These discussions sometimes seem like a bunch of 6 year olds playing
soccer. Everyone is crowding around the ball
and no progress gets made. Let's start moving forward, people.

- Sue

P.S. I must congratulate Bruce on his suggestion of moving to RPM.
It really seems to have motivated people!