Re: RFC: A method to use Admin tools, like linuxconf

On 21 Feb 1997, Rob Browning wrote:

> I just have a couple of things to say on this issue.
>
> 1) Putting all the config information in one file and having it edited
> in place by various packages is too brittle to be acceptable.  The
> wrong thing could totally hose the system.
>
> 2) The file system makes a wonderful database.  Hence the separate
> files in /etc, the links in rc.*, etc.  Stick with that.  If you want
> an easier way to edit this information, create a tool as a front end
> to this process that knows how to manipulate these files.

AGH, Linuxconf doesn't act this way.  All files which are used by other
programs are put in their standard place.  i.e. you don't have to
recompile programs to look in Linuxconf's locations, cause Linuxconf
doesn't do anything to them.  When I used the term database, I didn't
mean a databse that would be constantly used, just files which would be
used at dpkg's configuration's time.

Shaya