Debian documentation

In another thread, Christian Schwarz had written:

>IMHO it would be nice to have more debian specific documentation than we
>have now. ...
>If I'm right we only have these documents at the moment:
>* Debian Policy Manual
>* dpkg Programmer's Manual
>* Debian GNU/Linux FAQ
>* a few (very short) text file on our bug reporting system
>It would be nice to add the following:
>* Debian User's Manual
>	(Installation, Handling dselect/dpkg, Installation foreign
>       packages with alien, setting up /etc/init.d/* stuff, etc.)
>* User's Guide on Developing .deb's
>	(with introduction/guide style than the programmer's manual, which
>       is more like a reference manual)
============================
Jaldhar Vyas had written:
>I think there is a big need for documents that follow the "HOWTO" style
>and philosophy, i.e. (short, practical, and task-oriented) but are
>Debian-specific.   Subjects that could use this treatment are:
>* Making a Debian Package (I've already done this.  See my other post to
>  the list.)
>* Compiling a kernel the Debian way.
>* Using dpkg (Editorial:  At this point I'd tell newbies not to use
>  dselect at all.  I've had almost 0 problems because I've used dpkg
>  throughout.)
>* Setting up X.
>* How to report bugs.
>* Setting up PPP.
>And I'm sure there are others.  I'd be willing to work on some of these.

>I'm thinking about working on the FAQ this weekend, and one thing I'd
>like to do is to break it up into at least two parts:
>--one which is general, and
>--one which focusses only on dselect and dpkg.
>Of course, we could break it up further.  For example, we could have
>--an FAQ on installation and booting, and
>--an FAQ on using the Debian archives.
>--an FAQ on other Debian utilities or Debian practices.
>--an FAQ on printing and text utilities
>--an FAQ on TCP/IP problems, including PPP.
>From my posts on other lists, one would also conclude that I believe
>we also need
>--an FAQ on package development.

>An argument could be made that it might be a good idea to have user
>lists that were broken up along the same lines as the FAQs.

Not many people responded to this but those who did seemd to favor it.

with Debian documentation seems like an efficient way to begin dealing
with this.  However, it might be a good idea for this group
to report to debian-devel (and then possibly disband as a separate mailing
list) after some preliminary ideas have been sketched out.  So how does
this happen?

3.  I'd like to get some more feedback on my idea that if/when a
better documentation structure is devised, it might provide the natural
basis for restructuring the user (and possibly even the developer)
mailing lists.  _Please_?

Susan Kleinmann