Re: Dselect/dpkg feature request

In article <[🔎] Pine.SUN.3.91.970222204502.21656G-100000@itd> you write:

>On a related note, maybe we can change the package structure a little, so
>we can include a comment in the control file, and why a package is
>reccomended or suggested.  It probably isn't neccesary for Depends, b/c
>dpkg won't allow the package to install, but for choices where the users
>has to make a decisions seeing a comment would help, instead of just
>seeing
>xanim suggests mime-support.
>
>My package would say.
>
>xanim suggests mime-support.
>
>WHY:
>By installing mime-support along with xanim, you will allow xanim to
>automatiaclly register itself to your system.  This will allow the
>automatic playing of multimedia files you download from the internet and
>such.
>
>Well, what do people think.

That would be _seriously_ useful, yes. It would also solve a lot of
aggravation caused by people not heeding Recommends and then complaining
their system doesn't work properly. How difficult would this be to add?
Ian?

--
Steve McIntyre, stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk The Unix world's best mod player
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------