Re: Source dependencies

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu> writes:

> Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > It is becoming clear from our porting bootstrapping efforts and
> > various other things that source dependencies are probably required.
>
> I think it's clear that a lot of people are under the _impression_
> source dependencies are probably required

Upon reflection, I'm also not convinced that source dependencies are
that important.

Michael points out that it's not a major issue with porting.  I'm
inferring that "various other things" includes the recent problem with
dpkg's Makefile generating bad ps files without an error.

(The problem was that ``foo | bar'' doesn't exit with an error if foo
exits with an error, so when foo didn't exist, the Makefile didn't
error.  dpkg's source dependency of one of the debiandoc related
packages went undetected.)

Implementing such a general solution for a problem which has only one
instance (so far) is not a good use of developer time.

Guy