Re: Possible framework for `debmake replacement'

Hi,
>>"David" == David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:

Warning> sarcasm ahead.  I see.  Are you in the habit of always
David> running cpp, cc1, as and ld separately when you compile?  You
David> never know what gcc might try to do behind your back. :-)

	Actually, gcc does produce asm files, if you ask it to. And I
 have looked at assembly, when unsure about what was happening to
 locks. It took me years to trust gcc, and often I run a compile on at
 least two other compilers and lints before I trust things.

	But then, I'm paranoid. This is not the response you expected,
 So I'll desist ;-).

Michael> In other words, I suspect, they should be official parts of
Michael> dpkg---maintainers could use them with no risk of causing
Michael> problems with people doing new ports or whatever.
>>  If you-all really mean dpkg, this is out of the scope of this
>> requirements process.

David> By who's decision?

	Call the subject dpkg improvements if you want to talk about
 that, and I'll be a polite spectator (calling it debmake replacement
 confuses me, and calls for my active participation; I'm interested in
 getting a movement on the debmake issue).

	I'll definitely look at implementing a spec kind of thing
 (could someone mail me a rpm spec file, please?) into the document
 I'm building (look for a posting in a couple of days).

	I apologize if me demeanor has offended people on the list,
 such was not my intent.

	manoj
--
 Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.  Second
 marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.