Re: Possible framework for `debmake replacement'

It seems to me that we have a problem here which is somewhat similar
to that tackled by autoconf: we want to generate a script (in this
case a makefile, the debian/rules) and assorted other stuff in a
fairly automatic template-based manner from a simpler file which gives
the specifications of things.

Perhaps we could have debian/rules.in or debian/spec or something be
an M4 script which is processed either once or several times to
produce the debian/rules, postinst/preinst, &c.

This is just an idea, but I'm mentioning it because it seems to me
that using M4 would avoid you having to write a separate parser for
the specification file, and might make it easier to add the kind of
hooks you might want.

Ian.