Re: Freezing Bo (Debian 1.3)

On 26 Feb 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Chris Walker <cjw1006@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > There was a fair amount of talk about putting non-free and contrib under
> > stable/unstable.
>
> It will be done in the next unstable because otherwise mirrors will
> have to reget hundreds of megs.

How it will be done? I remember to hear about 2-3 schemes

1)
  /(un)stable +- base
             +  ...<other sections>
             +- non-free
             +- contrib

2) (who didn't divided non-free and contrib)
   /stable + sections
   /unstable + sections
   /non-free + sections
   /contrib + sections

3) (mix of the two)
  /stable (as it is now)
  /unstable (as it is now)
  /non-free-stable + sections
  /non-free-unstable + sections
  /contrib-stable + sections
  /contrib-unstable + stable

I has tendance to reject the first because it mixes sectionning and
distributions (For the purpose of this mail, I call distribution any of
this one: the main-free-distribution, contrib, non-free, local and
non-us).

The second simply doesn't divided the stable/unstable thing in non-free
and contrib.

The third is little bit encumber. Don't forget I doesn't included non-us
or local in this (or any other "distribution" people could want to add).

Another scheme could be:

/(un)stable+Debian+sections

           +contrib+sections

           +non-free+sections

           +non-us(+sections? may be)

           +local(+whatever...)
or
/Debian+stable+sections

       +unstable+sections

/contrib+stable+sections

        +unstable+sections

/non-free+stable+sections

         +unstable+sections

etc.

The first one has the advantage (or disadvantage) to keep non-free and
contrib (and any other "distribution") synchronized with the official
distribution.

The second one allow more flexibility in distributing (we might, by
example, a Debian/RedHat distribution ;) and keep them synchronize with
themselves.

Also, didn't we decided to have a tested distribution or this is also in
discussion? Vincent?

Ok, that's just my 2 pennies. Any comment are welcome, which one did
you preferred?

 "the talkin' is over (the walkin' has begun)" -- J. Sansone
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
E-mail me with "get pgp key" in the subject to get my public key
PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70