Re: XEmacs, Emacs and elisp

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

 Manoj> Hi, Yes, I unfortunately had to support a fairly diverse group
 Manoj> while I was at UMASS, and we had fierce devotees belonging to
 Manoj> either camp. Compatible?  Fairly, though not perfectly, as far
 Manoj> as 19.14 went. But the XEmacs developers were making no
 Manoj> guarantees about future compatibility.

 Manoj> 	    I did have a glitch with a package using macros loaded
 Manoj> from ``native'' elisp files, which were different for both
 Manoj> emacsen (this is problem with a elisp add-on depending on
 Manoj> other modules in the distribution, there is more of a
 Manoj> potential to get something in a non-working state).

 Manoj> 	     I don't remember the details off hand, because I
 Manoj> decreed then that we maintain two separate trees (we toyed
 Manoj> with the idea of a shadow tree of el files, and local elc
 Manoj> files, but never implemented it).

 Manoj> 	It just makes me feel uncomfortable about mixing the two
 Manoj> implementations. (I wish I had a more solid technical case to
 Manoj> present here).

Well, I can put up at least one package that needs fairly drastic
changes between the two.  (Unless something has changed with Emacs
that I am unaware of).  The bbdb 1.15 (I think correct version number)
will not work as distributed with XEmacs 20.0.  It contains a file
(mail<something>.el) that isn't compatible with XEmacs 20.0.  In order
to get a working version of bbdb this file cannot exist.  So this
package at least will not work as a shared package.

jim

--
@James LewisMoss                 | moss@cs.sc.edu | Blessed Be!
@    http://www.cs.sc.edu/~moss  | dres@scsn.net  | Linux is cool!